Supported by Arts Council England
and assisted by Norfolk County Council
As part of an attempt to document this whole process I have decided to post out on a weekly basis during the 4-week build up towards our exhibition in Hanse House, King’s Lynn. Preparation-wise a lot is going on each week and I want to record it- not only for the purposes of evaluation afterwards, but as a record for myself.
Yesterday, the scaffolding came to build a prototype of one of a number of cubes we are going to build to exhibit the poetry foam boards and artwork on. We put one together last night and it looks great. Here’s what it looked like before we put it up….I’m keeping what it looks likes together under my belt for a bit… so there’s some surprise attached to the exhibition…. The urban feel will work very well considering the contemporary nature of the project.
The flyer for the exhibition was also printed this week, so we can begin to distribute them as widely as possible. We had to hang on for the funder logos, but it was well worth it. The posters will be ready on Monday. If you click on the link below you can see what it looks like. Dan Roberts from Minute Man in King’s Lynn has done a really interesting design based on the Origami theme of our exhibition logo designed by Gary Caldwell. I’ll put out the poster next week…..
We began to budget for this exhibition many months ago. We had to make assumptions about our costs and what we would need so we could apply for grants. When it actually comes to the ‘nitty gritty’ of the finances and your in the ‘now’ of the project re-instigating quotes etc, the reality can be quite different. You may have to shift funds from one spending stream to another. This is something I have learned this week as our promotional material and exhibition costs have gone up and our framing costs down. Luckily, The Arts Council England, who is our primary funder, understands this and allows us to redistribute the money as long as we stay within the £2694 of public funds that they have given us towards our project. This has meant that we can shift money over to where we need it. It has also confirmed to me that the overall figure we set was adequate. Also, marketing and promotional costs must not be underestimated. I’m grateful I’ve learned that so early on, and it will help with The Nine Realms. I’ve also learned that a 15% contingency fund is a comforting thing!
We made contact with schools this week too, primarily King Edward VII’s in King’s Lynn. The art and literary departments are excited about what we are doing and will be hopefully coming to our Schools Day on the Friday (12th September). We go back for a formal meeting next week where we will also talk to the Classical Civilisations teacher again. This connection is one I instigated last year.
The educational element of what ArtiPeeps is trying to do with its large-scale projects is very important to us, and we are dedicated to the use of comic strips as an access point for our projects. I’ll be able to say more about all of this after the meeting next week.
I have also started to advertise what we’re doing online via The Norwich Writer’s Centre via their ‘What’s On’ which should be up shortly and we are in ‘The Heritage Open Day directory’ which is great. I have also approached KLFM, the local radio station, and next week I’ll be connecting with the community radio station in Norwich.
Oh yes, having had to re-do the document for the poetry foams to bring down costs, I bid them a fond farewell today and they have now gone to the printers to be printed. It was hard to let go and stop fiddling.
I think that’s about it! Thank you, as ever, for your interest.